Sunday, March 10, 2013

Issue in accessing SharePoint Sites from inside the server

This is a very common issue which every sharepoint administrator faces. If the admins are trying to access the SharePoint site from the server itself, they are never able to do so because of the security set up that has been provided by Microsoft. Usually the sharepoint admins use this technique to understand which WFE is causing the issue during routine troubleshooting, if the Host file entry on the servers is made in this format.

127.0.0.1   xxx.sharepoint.com

Once they hit the SharePoint site on that server, it implies that the request is hitting to that server itself. I would suggest the below steps to be followed for the dev, test and staging environment, but wouldn't suggest to do so on production, as this would come under security audit.

Method 1 (recommended): Create the Local Security Authority host names that can be referenced in an NTLM authentication request
To do this, follow these steps for all the nodes on the server: -

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0
3. Right-click MSV1_0, point to New, and then click Multi-String Value.
4. In the Name column, type BackConnectionHostNames, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click BackConnectionHostNames, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type the CNAME or the DNS alias or the Host header URL, and then click OK.
Note - Type each host name on a separate line.
Note - If the BackConnectionHostNames registry entry exists as a REG_DWORD type, need to delete the BackConnectionHostNames registry entry.
7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Method 2: Disable the authentication loopback check
To set the DisableLoopbackCheck registry entry to 1, need to follow the steps on the server: -
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
3. Right-click Lsa, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type DisableLoopbackCheck, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click DisableLoopbackCheck, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
7. Exit Registry Editor.
8. Restart the computer.

30 comments:

  1. I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We stumbled over here by a different web page and thought I might as well check things out. I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward to looking at your web page again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. I learn something new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon on a daily basis. It will always be interesting to read content from other authors and practice a little something from other web sites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be able to find good advice from your blog articles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice answers in return of this query with firm arguments and describing all concerning that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this paragraph is pleasant, my younger sister is analyzing these things, thus I am going to let know her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. whoah this weblog is excellent i really like studying your articles. Stay up the great work! You recognize, lots of individuals are hunting around for this information, you could aid them greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This site was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something that helped me. Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's amazing to pay a quick visit this site and reading the views of all colleagues regarding this paragraph, while I am also zealous of getting experience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I am so excited I found your website, I really found you by error, while I was researching on Google for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say many thanks for a marvelous post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the excellent b.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post is invaluable. When can I find out more?

    ReplyDelete
  12. My brother recommended I might like this blog. He was entirely right. This post truly made my day. You can not imagine just how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greate article. Keep writing such kind of information on your site. Im really impressed by your blog.
    Hello there, You've done an excellent job. I will definitely digg it and in my view recommend to my friends. I'm confident they will be benefited from this site.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello there! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO? I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good gains. If you know of any please share. Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace, when i read this paragraph i thought i could also create comment due to this good paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Outstanding story there. What occurred after? Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What's up friends, nice paragraph and good urging commented at this place, I am truly enjoying by these.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this site. I'm hoping to check out the same high-grade blog posts from you in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own website now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This site was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I've found something which helped me. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey there, You've done a great job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I'm sure they'll be benefited from this website.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is really interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your wonderful post. Also, I've shared your website in my social networks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Remarkable issues here. I'm very satisfied to peer your article. Thank you so much and I'm taking a look ahead to contact you. Will you please drop me a mail?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the helpful info you provide in your articles. I'll bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly. I'm quite certain I'll learn plenty of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's really a cool and helpful piece of info. I am happy that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it's truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if you continue this in future. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is very interesting, You are an overly skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and sit up for seeking more of your fantastic post. Additionally, I have shared your site in my social networks

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi mates, its great piece of writing regarding teachingand completely defined, keep it up all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am really enjoying the theme/design of your weblog. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility problems? A few of my blog visitors have complained about my website not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Opera. Do you have any suggestions to help fix this issue?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello would you mind stating which blog platform you're working with? I'm planning to start my own blog in the near future but I'm having a hard time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something unique. P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi there, I found your blog by the use of Google whilst searching for a related matter, your web site got here up, it appears to be like good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hello there, just changed into aware of your blog via Google, and located that it is truly informative. I'm gonna be careful for brussels. I will be grateful when you proceed this in future. A lot of other folks will probably be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete